- After spending his first three years in office openly declaring that “economically, France does not need Africa,” French President Nicolas Sarkozy has seemingly changed his tune as he is about to host ’38 African heads of state and government to a jamboree in Nice this week.’
- According to data from the Tanzanian Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs, the GDP will grow at an average of 0.2 percentage points per year for the next four years from 2010/11, meaning the economic growth rate will only be 7.8 per cent by 2013/14.
- A Nigerian politician, Eme Zuru Ayortor, is arrested after trying to smuggle two kilograms of cocaine (4.4 lbs) to Frankfurt as a way of financing his campaign for a seat in the Edo state house of Assembly election.
- An online business registration service went live on Rwanda Development Board (RDB) website http://org.rdb.rw last week reducing time it takes to register a company from a day to just one hour.
- Danish Jan Borge Poulsen (64) has been appointed as new Taifa Stars coach on a two year contract effective this August. He will take over from current Coach Marcio Maximo.