- Faustine is reporting that former Director of Personnel and Administration at the Bank of Tanzania (BoT), Amatus Liyumba, was found guilty of abusing his office and sentenced to two years in jail by the Kisutu Resident Magistrate’s Court in Dar es Salaam earlier today.
- Uganda’s leading daily newspaper, The New Vision, writes that former Tanzanian President Julius Kambarage Nyerere will be made a Saint on June 1, as part of the celebrations to mark this year’s Martyrs’ Day in Kampala (H/T Faustine’s Baraza).
- The Tanzanian diaspora boosts Dar’s external account to the tune of $200m annually as a result of the remittances sent to their families at home.
- Mwanza’s Mayor, Mr Leonard Bandiko Bihondo, 64, was arraigned at the Resident Magistrate Court along with three others charged with the murder of former CCM Secretary for the city ward of Isamilo, Ms Bahati Stephano, 50.
- The blogosphere has exploded with reports that the Memphis Grizzlies Tanzanian Centre, Hasheem Thabeet, allegedly assaulted the Bongo Flava artist TID at Bilicanas, a night club in Dar es Salaam two weeks ago. The reason for the alleged altercation remains unclear.