- The New York Times is reporting that anti-abortion laws in Tanzania are forcing women to turn to untrained amateurs who tend to bungle the procedures leading to complications that can be fatal.
- East African countries are urged to do more to combat the horrific trend of albino killings.
- Mwinyi Kazimoto’s strike in the dying seconds secured a thrilling 2-1 victory for Taifa Stars in a friendly against New Zealand played at Dar es Salaam’s National Stadium.
- Africa’s longest serving leader, President Omar Bongo of Gabon, died at a clinic in Spain. He was 73.
- 24-year old Josephine Achieng Owino becomes the first Kenyan woman to be drafted in to the NBA’s women’s counterpart, the WNBA.